Discover LISTO: A Legacy of Learning in Jackson County
Since 1994, the LISTO Family Literacy Program, a proud initiative of SOCFC, has been a beacon of hope and learning for the Latinx community in Jackson County. LISTO works with Spanish-speaking families with children from birth through grade 8. LISTO is more than an afterschool program; it’s a culturally rich educational journey that has touched the lives of generations.
Our Four-Pillar Approach to Transformative Education for Entire Families:
1. Adult Education Reimagined
- English as a Second Language (ESL): Dive into our dynamic online ESL classes, offered at three levels and available twice a week.
- Adult Basic Education in Spanish: From pre-literacy to GED prep, our courses are custom tailored to suit each adult learner.
2. Child Education- Nurturing Young Minds
- Early Childhood Learning: With our Spanish-speaking experts and engaging learning packets, parents become the foremost educators for their little ones.
- Online and In-Person Support for Grades 1-8: Homework help and exploratory learning sessions led by K-12 educators, four days a week. Plus, exciting in-person youth enrichment activities!
3. Parenting Education & Leadership Development- Grow and Lead
- Interactive Parenting Classes: Our Spanish-speaking facilitators lead online classes for parents.
- Mental Health Support: Connect with a bilingual/bi-cultural counselor and family advocate services.
- Leadership Opportunities: Embrace roles that encourage community involvement and volunteerism.
4. Parent and Child Time Together (PACT)
- Families experience the joy of learning together through our vibrant mix of virtual and in-person activities. LISTO families strengthen their family bonds and build a supportive community network.